Remove topic 500-dividend
article thumbnail

Stock Repurchasing and Corporate Social Responsibility

Reynolds Holding

Between January 2009 and 2018, S&P 500 firms spent $4.3 trillion to buy back their shares, which is significantly more than these firms spent on dividend payments to their shareholders (Lazonick, Sakinç, and Hopkins, 2020). In a seminal paper on this topic, Ikenberry et al. Stock repurchases are popular. percent.

Finance 72
article thumbnail

In Search of a Steady State: Inflation, Interest Rates and Value

Musings on Markets

Since 2020, though, inflation has become a key story line in almost every post that I write about the overall market, and I have had multiple posts just on the topic. At the close of trading on May 5, 2022, the S&P 500 stood at 4147, down 13.3% YouTube Video Spreadsheets Value of the S&P 500 on May 5, 2022 Data.

Insiders

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Trending Sources

article thumbnail

2023 Investment and Market Updates: A Review of the Worst Year Since 1871

Brian DeChesare

My Answer: 11%, which was bad but considerably less bad than the S&P 500 or Nasdaq. I’ll address several topics in this year’s update, starting with my current portfolio and performance stats and ending with some predictions that will probably be wrong: My Current Portfolio and Performance Stats. Crypto: 0.01% [Down 15.63%].

article thumbnail

Mid Penn Bancorp, Inc. Reports First Quarter Earnings and Declares Dividend

Benzinga

With the success of the first quarter, the Board announced a quarterly cash dividend of $0.20 Asset Quality On January 1, 2023, Mid Penn adopted ASU 2016-13, Financial Instruments - Credit Losses (ASC Topic 326): Measurement of Credit Losses on Financial Instruments , which replaces the incurred loss methodology, and is referred to as CECL.

article thumbnail

Oil & Gas Investment Banking: The First Victim of the ESG Cult?

Brian DeChesare

You do not need to be an “expert” in the technical details of oil & gas, but you should know the following topics: The different verticals and how the business models, drivers, and risk factors differ. The tricky part is understanding the MLP structure and the tax, dividend, and capital structure differences that it creates.

Banking 94
article thumbnail

Marking Time: A new year, a fresh semester and its class time!

Musings on Markets

For a class to resonate and be remembered, it has to be more than a collection of topics, and with each of my classes there is a core narrative that animates and connects the class sessions. And as always, I invite you come along for the ride. What I teach.

article thumbnail

META Lesson 1: Corporate Governance

Musings on Markets

Facebook: Filling in the Background It is worth noting that in good times, when earnings are rising and stock prices are upward bound, investors do not seem to have much interest in corporate governance, and it is only when the numbers start to move against them, that they rediscover the importance of the topic.